Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Head to Knee Black Watch Tartan- Oh My!

               I am not going to lie- seeing the Duchess in full on Black Watch tartan momentarily flashed me back to the early 1990s when my step-mother used to wear dresses in a similar all-over plaid motif ala Laura Ashley.  Thank heavens though, I kept looking and realized that she may be the only one who could pull off the look with the help of the superb tailoring skills of Sarah Burton.

Personally, I would probably never wear plaid all over but it is a lovely pattern and just a splash may be just the key for the rest of us mere mortals.



Matt Treacy, BBC Radio Twitter Feed (@RadioMatty)

Below are some ideas to add in Black Watch tartan to your wardrobe.

In a pencil skirt with a black turtle neck, tights and boots.



J. Crew Factory
Pencil Skirt in Black Watch Plaid

Very limited sizes can be found from J. Crew Factory here for $44.99.

In a school girl inspired pleated skirt with side buckles.  Again with your black turtle neck, tights and boots.

Land's End

Women's Pleated Plaid Woven Side Buckle Skirt


This skirt can be purchaced from Land's End here in the Classic Navy/Evergreen Plaid pattern for $36.99.

In a blazer?  This just looks just yummy doesn't it?  I would pair it with a crisp white shirt (or black turtleneck), black skinny jeans and tall boots.

L.L. Bean
Italian Wool Blazer, Plaid


This blazer can be purchased from L.L. Bean here for 199.00.

In accessories, when all you want is to add just a touch of plaid.



FABbyCAB
Wool Clutch - Pendleton Black Watch Tartan Plaid

This clutch is made of a fine Pendleton wool, lined in a forest green dupioni silk. For an idea on size the dimension (inches) are W8xW9xH5xD2.5. For $60.00 it can be yours from FABbyCAB's Etsy store here.


And if you must insist and you can't (or won't) spring for the McQ by McQueen coat:



boobookittycouture
Vintage Inspired Blackwatch tartan full skirted dress


This dress is handmade, made to measure in any size from boobookittycouture's Etsy shop here for $205.76.  I would even dare to bet that if there is another silhouette in her shop, she could make it in this fabric pattern instead.

Once of the Duchess' footwear staples are her Aquatalia Rhumba boots.  My own version are from DSW (you can purchase them from DSW here) and are made for wide calves. They are genius comfy and share a very striking style similarity to the Rhumba boots without the high price tag (and fit!).  As soon as I find a boot that is in a regular calf size I will add them.

DSW.com
Audrey Brooke Wynne Wide Calf Boot


For those who don't have special needs calves like I do these La Canadienne boots are a great look to RepliKate the Duchess' Aquatalia boots.  They cab be purchased at DSW for $179.95 here.


DSW.com
La Canadienne Marisol Boot

Her blue sapphire earrings were worn with this outfit.  I have a few options to share below.  I have not decided on the pair I will be purchasing but here are my ideas so far:

Walmart
Lab-Created Ceylon Sapphire and Lab-Created White Sapphire Drop Earrings in Sterling Silver

There is the above pair of drop earrings that have an oval lab-created sapphire surrounded by lab-created white sapphires.  They do drop a bit more than the Duchess' do (the website lists them at 1 inch long) but they do have almost all of the same design elements.  Listed for $99.00 at the time of posting they are a great price as well.  They can be purchased from Walmart here.
Eve's Addiction
Sapphire CZ Oval Drop Sterling Silver Clip-On Earrings

The above clip-on earrings are closer to the ear and have a smaller drop from the earring post that more closely resembles the Duchess' actual pair.  They can be purchased from Eve's Addiction for $49.00 here

One of the items that I am still struggling to find is the black suede clutch the Dutchess carries all the time.  So far the closest thing I have found that is not $500 is below.

Target
Merona Suede Panel Clutch


This clutch bag has only a faux suede panel but has the closest shape to what Catherine carries so I am listing it here for the moment as a place holder.  If I find something better I will update this post.  At the time of this posting the bag was on clearance for $13.78 and can be purchased from Target here.

All in all- I think I am really glad she is bringing "appropriate" back.  She even inspired me to buy shoes with almost no toe cleavage.  The plaid is just so warm and cozy for this time of year and makes me remember my own days of plaid kilts and peter pan collars at school.  She just updated the idea.  I really loved it.

What did you think of all that plaid?  Any items that you are thinking of making your own?  Till next time- happy shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment