Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Green With Envy- The Duchess of Cambridge Shows Us How to Wear Green

              
          Here is a recent outfit where the jury is still out for me.  I love some of the individual pieces but somehow the way they are styled for this event just haven't clicked for me.  I decided to a post on this look anyway for the previously mentioned reason- the separate pieces really are awesome and may just need to be worn in a different way for those of us who aren't an IRL working royal princess.

Our inspiration comes from a visit the Duchess made to mark the opening of a new exhibition at the Natural History Museum in London.

Splash News

The Mulberry dress that the Duchess wore includes pleats, a pattern of peace signs and trees, a button front placket, bell sleeves and a skinny belt with gold detailing.  This is the meat of her ensemble and in modification I think can be worn by many women.  At the end of the day this is just a very dressed up shirt dress.  As soon as I saw it a dress I saw while watching television too late at night came straight to my mind.

HSN
DG2 Drop-Waist Shirt Dress with Pockets


With this dress we get the color, the top button placket, soft pleating at the waist and long sleeves.  Pretty good right?  At at the moment it can be purchased from HSN here for $29.95.  I have a dress that is made of the same fabric and it is AMAZING and won't wrinkle but still looks and feels like silk crepe de chine.

I think we need to come up with a term for things that are Catherine-Inspired but not necessarily something that is exactly the same as the item she wore.  I will put my thinking cap on and hope you can help me out as well.

Now that we have the dress down the accessories are what we have left.  We saw a new pair of earrings appear and they seem to be pear shaped emeralds surrounded by diamonds hanging from a small drop post.

My Small Obsessions/Facebook

This was a funny one to find since most jewelry on the market is just not produced in such classic shapes and designs readily on the market.  I found the following pair on eBay marketed as a replica of earrings worn by Vivien Leigh in the movie Gone with the Wind.
eBay
Gone with the Wind Earrings Hollywood Collection

Beggars can't be choosers right?  They aren't pear shaped but barring having a jeweler create the earrings for you custom I think these will do the job just right.  You can purchase these from eBay here for $58.50.

Next the belt.  This one was fun to find since there are so many skinny belts on the market but I think I found the right mix of price and style match with the following belt.

LuLus.com
Skinny Mini Green Belt

It is a great shade of green, includes the gold detailing that the Duchess' belt had and at the currently reduced price of $15.00 you really just can't day no.  You can purchase the bel from LuLu's.

Last but certainly not least are the shoes!  Almost always my favorite thing to put on everyday and I know that I am not alone on that one.  The Duchess wore her Jimmy Choo Cosmic Pumps in black suede and I have a dead on perfect match.  These are next on my list of RepliKate shoes to buy.

Nine West
Fortonight

The actual Nine West web store no longer has the Fortonight design in the black suede but Zappos.com has them in almost every size.  Listed at $69.99 they would be a great RepliKate addition to any girls wardrobe.  They can be purchased from Zappos here

Now my goal is never to find something as inexpensive as possible to RepliKate with but let's add this post together- $173.44 + tax.  The Duchess' dress and shoes alone were $2895 and the earrings may be priceless depending on where they came from.  I have to admit I am pretty proud of myself for that break down.

What do you guys think?  Is it the buttoned all the way to the top thing that is getting me down?  Either way- she looked great and her use of color I will applaud all day long.

Till next time- happy shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment